Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Goats are Back!!

After a long winter of being non-milkers (our lady dried up around the end of November last year), our brother and sister-in-law very generously offered to send a few more goats our way. On Memorial Day we welcomed back Hermione and met Oma for the first time. Hermione is no longer a milk-giving gal; she's getting a little too old for that. However, she came along to keep Oma company and to give her joints a break from all the long walks at the farm when they move out to pasture.

I have to admit, I breathed a little sigh of relief when milking every day was no longer part of the equation. But now that my little Lucy is going through a half gallon or more of goat milk per week on her own, we didn't feel right refusing a free goat. I'm also pretty sure that I have the best husband in the world, because he has offered to do ALL the milking! All I have to do is strain it and get it in the fridge when he comes in. Deal.

Memorial Day was also a major planting day for us. On days like that when you feel dizzy from so much sun and sweat, you have to stop and remind yourself how much you love eating fresh food. Or you go crazy. And start cursing your beautiful vegetables. Who wants that? We have been blessed to already eat asparagus, rhubarb, radishes, lettuce of various kinds, broccoli, and onions from the garden. We now also have eggplant, multiple peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, zucchini, summer squash, dry beans, green beans, peas, corn, butternuts, delicatas, two types of pumpkin, basil, parsley, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, beets, turnips, carrots, and maybe some other things that I am not remembering all at various stages of growth. Whew! I feel better just typing that. It really is worth it!

As tired as we were at the end of Monday, I loved looking around the dinner table at a family with dirt smudges on their cheeks and brown earth under their nails. I love knowing that every time we go out to weed we are getting fresh air, working together, and living more providently. I love my Heavenly Father who has seen fit to bless us with this little piece of land, and we will keep doing all that we can with it. Because that is the best way I know to say "thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment