Saturday, June 18, 2011

Kale Chips!

I don't have a picture of these delicious snack bites, BUT I can say that my polka Dot ate them as well as potato chips (and life is rarely quiet for her on the green veggie front).

Kale is quickly becoming one of my favorite plants in the garden. It starts producing early in the spring and doesn't quit until nearly Christmas in this neck of the woods. It also doesn't take more than a handful of kale plants before you feel like you are suffocating in dark leafy-green goodness. When the plants get a little out of hand, or you just need a crunchy, healthy snack option, these kale chips are just the thing.

I'm not going to give any measurements because everyone will like them a little different, but here is the gist of how you make them:

Cut, wash, and dry a whole heaping pile of kale from the garden. Tear the kale leaves from the thick stems in large pieces. Put all your pieces in a bowl and drizzle with a bit of olive oil (I'd say hmm about 2 Tablespoons--maybe more. You don't want to find a puddle in the bottom of the bowl, but you want each leaf to get a little). Then sprinkle with some salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese and toss to coat evenly. Bake at 200 degrees on an aluminum covered sheet for about an hour, or until chips are nice and crispy all the way through. Put them in a bowl, watch them disappear, and feel good about how much leafy green power is now making its way through the bodies of those near and dear to you.

Seriously, I think you'll like these. Eating your greens isn't so bad after all:)

1 comment:

  1. I have no kale yet, or a garden, but I do want to try this!

    ReplyDelete